Sunday, May 17, 2009

"Toy Drive" Sunday

Yesterday just flew by - I don't have any idea why either! I thought everything was going well, and the next thing I knew the NASCAR Sprint Cup All-Star Race was over and it was way past my bedtime! Needless to say, I didn't get to blog yesterday.
This morning was Worship through Music Sunday at church. The Chancel Choir sang 4 songs and the bell choirs had 3 or 4 songs, plus the youth choir had a couple of songs. It was a beautiful service, but it went a little longer than I expected. We were to meet up with a group of classic car owners and go on a toy drive. Actually, the toy-drive part of the day was that in order to go on this cruise, we were to furnish a new toy to be donated to either the S. Iowa or N. Missouri Red Cross to give to children when they are in crisis. Cool idea, right?! Well, I think that "toy drive" also means that we get to drive OUR toys! But I digress from my original thought - sorry! Anyway, we were to meet them at 11:00 and leave for Osky (to arrive there at 11:30). Since church was running late, I sneaked out of the choir loft with about 25 minutes left in the service! Hopefully not too many people missed me! Since I had my own car at church, I raced home to get my camera and Dave took the '56 and went to the starting point. I then parked my car in the Great Prairie AEA parking lot and got into the '56. As luck would have it, we didn't leave Ottumwa until about 11:30 - I could have stayed for the rest of the service! Regardless, we eventually took off - I think we had 16 cars from Ottumwa. We were led on back roads to Oskaloosa where we gained another car, and then on to Pella where we acquired 2 more vehicles for a total of 19 cars cruising to Pleasant Hill to eat a mid-afternoon lunch at the 5 & Diner. Unfortunately for all of us, it started sprinkling on us about midway from Pella to Pleasant Hill. By the time we arrived at the 5 & Diner it was coming down a little harder than a sprinkle! You must understand that a lot of these cars have never seen rain - they are only driven on dry, sunshiny days! But that didn't deter us - we just keep on going! We had a wonderful lunch at the 5 & Diner and then we were free to come home on our own. Well, normally we would opt to take all back roads home, but today since it was still rainy, we decided to just come home on the 4-lane. So we did - and we decided to take the Dahlonega Road exit at Ottumwa because that was closer to home. We got home just a little bit ago and we opened the garage door to go into the house and I looked at Dave and said, "Honey, we forgot my car - it's still out north!" If we had taken the original Ottumwa exit we'd have driven right by my car, but no - we went clear home and then had to go back out to get my Buick!! We decided that we were all candidates for early-onset Alzheimers! Oh well - it could have been worse!
Here's a picture of just some of the cars on the cruise - the picture was taken in-between rains so I didn't get all 19 of the cars.

On another note, I have this "rule" that the furnace doesn't get turned on after May 1st in the spring or before November 1st in the fall. When we walked into the house after having been gone all day, the thermostat was reading 64 degrees! Needless to say, the furnace is now running and here it is May 17th! Later...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 My blog has been hacked so I am suspending blogging for the immediate future.  Sorry!  More later...