Saturday, March 14, 2015

Fun day!

We went on an adventure today!  We started to go to Indian Rocks Nature Preserve, but just as we were about to turn onto Gulf Blvd from W Bay, we saw some Roseate Spoonbills off to our right.  So I turned right instead of left.  We couldn't get close to them because everywhere around them from that side was private property.  So I got back out on Gulf Blvd and turned back on W Bay.  We parked at the Community Center on the S side of the street and crossed busy W Bay on foot!  We (along with several other people) got to see Roseate Spoonbills, a Reddish Egret (which are not very common), a wood stork, a Great Blue Heron, a cormorant or  two, and a bunch of ibis.  Great photo opportunities!!


When we had taken our pictures (about 250 of them!) we drove on to the Indian Rocks Nature Preserve.  It was a nice walk, surrounded by mangroves, but no birds!  There was a pretty view at the end of the boardwalk!


I took this shot above the mangroves.  I just loved all of the different shades of green!

Next stop was John's Pass where I wanted to pick up some little gifts for our bowling cheerleaders and while we were there, we had a light lunch at Scully's.  After we ordered and were just people watching, a guy walked by who had played football at Iowa State from 1969-1972 (before I got there, but I knew him).  So I hollered at him and he and his wife ended up eating lunch with us!  It was fun seeing them again and chatting!

We came back home after all of that and just puttzed around until 6:00 when the Cyclones played in the Big 12 Tourney Championship game against Kansas.  We had to do another comeback, but we did it and we're Champs two years in a row.  Now I'm exhausted and heading to bed.  What a great adventure!

More later...

2 comments:

  1. We get to see all of these birds on our canal. The ibis are all over after a rain and we call them the Florida chicken. When we see the wood Stork, we tell him to move on and isn't he ugly? My favorite are the Rosate Spoonbill (they are so fascinating) and the Blue Heron (which I have named Herbie. People think I'm crazy because I talk to him and I swear he knows me and talks back to me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love the birds. The Spoonbills and the Reddish Egret are very special pictures because we hadn't gotten any pictures of either of them until yesterday!

      Delete

 My blog has been hacked so I am suspending blogging for the immediate future.  Sorry!  More later...