Thursday, January 8, 2009

Long Live the King!

Today is the King of Rock and Roll's birthday. There will be big celebrations at Graceland in Memphis - sure wish I could be there one day. What an entertainer! I'm so glad I got to see him in person. He came to Ames, Iowa, in November of 1976 and I had a great seat. I'd always despised those girls who screamed, or cried, or fainted when he sang, so there was no way I was going to do any of those! Well....I didn't faint! I did cry and I did scream, just like 14,000+ others did that night! After all, we WERE seeing Elvis!! I remember being shocked by his appearance, but when he sang his first note....it was just Elvis! His appearance no longer mattered. He had the most mesmerizing voice and a wonderful stage presence. Can you imagine the wonderful choirs in Heaven!

Today I'm going to my hometown to visit with my aunts - I have 3 there. They are 90, 93, and 102!! I also have one in Kansas City who is only about 80. A couple of them have moments of delusion, but the others are doing very well.

I'm also going to have lunch with several "kids" from my class - oh, all right, we're not kids any more! Anyway, it should be fun. We had our 40th class reunion in 2006, but those who are around town still try to get together every once in a while for lunch. There may be 6 of us or there may be 16 of us, you just never know.

1 comment:

  1. My fondest memory of the KING was some years ago after he had passed away. I was sitting in a bar in downtown Chicago trying to unwind from my hectic day at the J O B when a program on TV came dedicated to the notion that Elvis was not dead. I was amazed by how many people around me believed that it was actually possible. I'm not sure of the year but I'm sure itwas late 80's or early 90's. When the program was over I sat there in amazement at the number of believers.

    Now me being me I added my profound insight into the situation. I pointed out "If Elvis was alive on the day of the TV program, do you know what he would be doing???? Scratching on the lid of his coffin from the inside". Needless to say I called it a night and went home ...alone.

    Howard

    ReplyDelete

 My blog has been hacked so I am suspending blogging for the immediate future.  Sorry!  More later...