Sunday, December 20, 2009

What a weekend!

Whew! I'm glad that weekend is over. We just had way too many commitments! We had our flu shots on Friday - we went to Public Health to get them and that's a trip in and of itself. They booked 8 people every 15 minutes, so when we got there at 3:00 for our 3:00 appointment, the 3:15 people were already there and they went ahead of us. I wasn't going to have an H1N1 shot, but they I got to thinking about being around the grandkids for 2 months and decided maybe I should have one of them too. We got a shot in each arm! I'm not a fan of flu shots - to me they hurt for about 3 days. This one hasn't been bad - just the injection site itched a little and felt a little warm, but didn't really hurt this year. The H1N1 hasn't hurt at all. In fact, it didn't hurt when they injected it. So now, on January 1st, we will be protected from both kinds of flu - just in time to leave for Florida.

We also had Dave's Golden Furrow Christmas party this weekend. There were approximately 150 people at the party and that's not even everyone! It was in Fairfield at the Best Western. I think everyone there had a really good time. Dave was the co-planner of it, as well as being in charge of pictures, etc. So, I took pictures all night while he worked the room. We stayed at the hotel after the party and it was a good thing. It seems my husband had a little too much whiskey, so we were up until about 2:30 AM!! Hopefully he learned his lesson - we're too old to be up that late!!

This morning after church, it was snowing. I left to go up the hill the way I always go home. I got 3/4 of the way up the hill and my car just stopped - I couldn't get any more traction - I was stuck on a very narrow street with cars parked in 1 lane and I was in the right lane. So, I had to back down the hill until I could get to a side street that I could turn around in. I'm glad I'm a good backer and I'm especially glad that no one tried to come up the hill while I was backing down it. When I got down to 5th Street, I went east and it was a 1-way street going west! This guy was coming out of the church on the corner of Washington and 5th (a Spanish speaking church) and he's trying to tell me that I'm going the wrong way - well, I knew I was, but it was only a block and since I was already commited to going that way, I kept going! You should have seen the look on his face!! Anyway I got over to Jefferson and didn't have any problems getting up it. They had already sanded Jefferson.

This afternoon we went back to church to eat lunch and go caroling to our church shut-ins. There were 15 of us and I think we sounded great! Dave even went too. He usually lets me do that on my own. After caroling we headed home and this black blazer was behind me flashing his lights. I said to Dave a couple of times, I wonder what that guy's trying to tell me. Finally, I just waved to him and he flashed me again. I got a glimpse of his license plate and realized it was my niece and her family from Texas - they had just gotten to town! So went led them to Bob's so we could say hello to all of them. It's so good to have them in Iowa. for the holidays. Then later this afternoon, Dave and I got our Christmas cards ready to mail in the morning. I want to put pictures of the Allison family reunion in several of the cards, so I'll take my CD down to Drugtown tomorrow to get prints made.

Since this has become as long as a dissertation, I think I'd better quit. Tomorrow I have to get some pictures made; I need to wrap packages; I need to make peanut clusters; and tomorrow night Dave and I, along with a couple of others from the Vintage Cruisers are working at Nights and Lights at the Ottumwa Park. Hopefully we won't freeze!! More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 My blog has been hacked so I am suspending blogging for the immediate future.  Sorry!  More later...