Monday, August 30, 2010

Critter Monday

Yesterday I talked about the class I had taken where I learned to use a brayer to put ink onto white paper! Today, however, I'm going in a totally different direction! Here's a little guy who was sitting on our window sill. I think he was just hanging out waiting to jump up in the tree. After all, he IS a tree frog! Look at his little "fingers"! Those little suction cup things are great for climbing and holding on!! He didn't really want me to take his picture, but I did anyway...then I left him alone!I think I mentioned that our male hummingbird(s) seem to be gone. This is a picture I took of one just Saturday. I haven't seen any males for the last two days. We still have females around, and what I think is a juvenile because of her size. The juvenile is only about half the size of the female. His/her head isn't any bigger than the tip of my little finger! They're much more skittish than the males. If the female catches me moving at all, she flies away!
This is a picture I got of one of our hummers coming in for a landing! It's really hard to get a good picture of a flying hummingbird. I've taken several, but so far this is the best. I've actually got a series of this one coming in - I love the way they stick their feet out just before they land! I have had a wonderful month just watching these little critters! I hate to think that I'll soon have to wait until April to see them again. I've already got a notation made on my calendar to put the feeder out before April 15th.
Tonight Dave went with me to see the Indian Hills volleyball team in their home opener. They're not very good, but they did win tonight. It's so hard to field a team at the junior college level. Most of the girls just want to have fun in college. It seems to be that way for volleyball especially. I wonder why that is? They have the shortest season of all the sports.

Tomorrow I have a physical therapy appointment and tomorrow night is beginning day for my Beta Sigma Phi chapter. It'll be fun to see those ladies again after having the summer off! More later...

2 comments:

  1. Your so called tree frogs like to hang out on the Deck Furniture....far from the trees.....just waiting to pounce on me when I go out to relax.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha - that's funny, Howard! They're really kind of cute!!

    ReplyDelete

 My blog has been hacked so I am suspending blogging for the immediate future.  Sorry!  More later...