Wednesday, May 12, 2010

True Senior Citizen

Today is one of those days that shall go down in infamy...at least in my life! I got my first social security check today! Since I had my 62nd birthday in March, I've know for a while that I was a senior citizen, but today really proved it! After three years of having no paycheck, I got paid today - woohoo!! This is kind of fun! Now, however, along with being a senior citizen officially, came lots of aches and pains. This wet, cold weather is playing havoc with my thumb joint and it must be doing something to Dave, too. He went to work at his normal early time, but about 10:00 he came home. His neck is so stiff he can hardly move it. He went to the chiropractor twice today and he's been sitting in his chair with ice on his neck for most of the day. Poor guy - a stiff neck is no fun at all!

My big brother is leaving for Lake Kabetogema (sp) in Minnesota this weekend and will be there a week. He came over today to show me what he'd had done with Aunt Helen's diamond ring (WOW) and to get a printout I'd made for him showing the weather conditions for the next 10 days in International Falls, Minnesota which is very near to this Lake. The weather forecast is for 70+ degrees and no wind for the whole time they're there. He said he'd already packed Carharts and long underwear and that he wasn't going to unpack them. I don't think he trusts the weather forecast! I guess they usually freeze up there.

I had a great time today at lunch. I went to the Cyclone Tailgate Tour at Bridge View and listened to Coach Rhoads talk about next year's football team and their goals. I always thought McCarney was a dynamic speaker, well so is Coach Rhoads! He's just as exuberant and vocal as Dan was. I introduced myself to him and told him (1) that Kyle Benning is my great-nephew and (2) that I had been the head coach's secretary for 16 years. He made me feel good - he said that Kyle was one of the best, hardest-nosed kids on the team...that he gave everything he had...he just wanted to be part of the team. He said he was really proud of Kyle for what he accomplished. Coach Fennelly and Coach Jackson were there too, as well as the volleyball coach and the swimming coach, but Paul was the only one to speak. They gave away tons of door prizes, but as per usual I didn't win one!

Tonioght we had a great choir rehearsal at church. We're winding down our singing season - we break for the summer. This Sunday we sing a cool song and next Sunday, which will be our last, we sing 4 anthems! If anyone wants to come hear a variety of music sung by a really good choir, Sunday, May 23rd would be a wonderful day to visit First Presbyterian Church. We've been told that Pastor Sara's sermon will be great too!

Well, it's time for this old gal to go to bed! More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 My blog has been hacked so I am suspending blogging for the immediate future.  Sorry!  More later...