Saturday, October 23, 2010

Hornets

This is what fell out of the tree into our yard this morning! It's a huge hornets' nest! There were still a few hornets around it, so I was a little leery about getting too close. These are really works of wonder when you consider that they are made from saliva and chewed wood fiber! Look at the swirls in the paper-like exterior of this nest. It's beautiful!!

Here's a close-up. I used my zoom to get close to the entrance of the nest. I think it shows the swirls really well. Why, they are even different colors! We had one of these on a corner of our house a few years ago. We paid an exterminator to come remove it. He didn't get stung, but there were tons of hornets around the nest.
I hope you enjoyed looking at this up close and personal! More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 My blog has been hacked so I am suspending blogging for the immediate future.  Sorry!  More later...