Thursday, May 19, 2011

Great Thursday!

We sure did have a beautiful day today! It wasn't terribly warm, but pretty nonetheless! I had a wonderful day just doing what I wanted to do! This morning, however, I went to Cardinal HS to present a PEO Star scholarship to a young lady who is VERY deserving! She got lots of scholarship money today - I wish I'd been paying more attention and added it all up! Anyway, back to the Star scholarship...PEO gave 3 Star scholarships in the entire state of Iowa. Two of those three were to girls from Cardinal HS!! How cool is that? A school in little old Eldon, Iowa, has two PEO Star Scholars!! When I got to the awards assembly, I didn't know that. Then the presenter before me presented her Star Scholarship and then me! Since she said basically everything I was going to say, I just ad libbed - I was much more comfortable doing that than reading a script! It was fun!

I came home, changed clothes, ate my lunch and played all day! I did go outside to try to take some iris pictures. They are truly beautiful right now. It was hard to get a great picture, though, because the wind was blowing pretty hard while I was out there! This iris is from bulbs we got from mom, who got them from her sister, Wanda. Wanda had the most beautiful flowers! I got this one from Bob and Ann to replace my big yellow hybrid which froze out one year! It's a beautiful iris and I was especially intrigued with the inside of it. This one was more protected from today's wind.

Speaking of wind, Dave is outside right now blowing a million Maple squirters out of our gutters! The trees here are still loaded with the little devils too, so he's going to have to do this again! They are pretty dry now, so in today's wind they just blew and blew and rustled as they blew!

I've also attached a picture of the card I made where I was able to get the flower to stick...it's been on this card for two days, standing upright, and it hasn't fallen off yet! This will be one of those cards that will be given to someone, NOT mailed. The flower is too big to make it through the mail slot! I think it's really pretty, though!
Here is another card I made a couple of days ago. I think I will make more using this technique. To me, the background looks like a Grandma's Fan quilt pattern. Verve Stamps calls it sun rays or something to that effect. It makes a very attractive background, plus you get to use up some "junk" cardstock behind it because it doesn't show on the finished card!! This entire card is made with scraps of paper from DCWV, except the blotchy looking one - I made it with ink and shaving cream! I used my scalloped circle Nestabilities to make my flower! The ribbon and the big yellow brad are just miscellaneous "stuff" I had around my craft studio!

Since Dave got home at a decent hour, I fixed tenderloins for us for supper. My, they were good! For dessert we had key lime pie and I must say it was scrumptious!!

Tomorrow I have a PEO luncheon. It's one of those times when I wish I could be two people. One of my high school friends is back from Florida and some classmates are meeting to have lunch with her. I'd like to be there as well, but I keep preaching the my PEO sisters that PEO is a prior commitment, so I'd better practice my preaching!!

More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 My blog has been hacked so I am suspending blogging for the immediate future.  Sorry!  More later...