Thursday, July 26, 2012

I'm wondering...

...why some people are complaining about over 1" of rain.  We only got .25 of an inch!  We're happy to have that!!  Unfortunately, the clouds just seem to disappear over Wapello County.  Must be that we're not living right!  Regardless, because of the rain we had last night, today was another hot, and extremely muggy day.  We didn't get to 100 today, though!  I think the highest I saw was 95...so about 10 degrees cooler than a few days ago.  It wasn't very noticeable, though.

I worked in my studio most of the day today!  I decided which card I wanted to do for the swap this weekend, cut out all the parts, stamped, and assembled the 10 cards I needed for Saturday.  I also put away all of my "stuff" from last night's class and sort of cleaned off my work space!  Tomorrow is our 4th Friday stamp club, so I had to get my kit together for that event.  Plus, I have to put together what I'm taking to Des Moines on Saturday!

I don't know if I told you or not, I'm reading "Uncle Tom's Cabin" on my Kindle.  I went online tonight to find out about Harriet Beecher Stowe and it seems this book was actually written as a series of articles about slavery for a newspaper.  She thought she'd have enough info for about 9 columns, but she ended up writing 40 or so.  It's a very hard read...lots of dialect and a horrible topic.  Her "book" was instrumental in getting more humane treatment of slaves and put an end to slave trading in the mid 1850's.  Unfortunately, it didn't put an end to slave hunters, who chased runaways.  That came later.  Sad, sad stories.  The book centers on two main characters...Eliza (a runaway) and Uncle Tom.  Eliza's baby boy (around 3) and Uncle Tom were sold to settle their kind owner's debts.  Eliza ran with her baby, but Uncle Tom chose not to run.  That's as far as I've gotten - I'm only about 30% done with the book.  Makes me very sad to read it.  I hope there is a happy ending...

More later...


No comments:

Post a Comment

 My blog has been hacked so I am suspending blogging for the immediate future.  Sorry!  More later...